Almost Beyond Description
To answer this question is like trying to describe the most beautiful sunset you ever saw in ten words or less. Unlike what many artists have imagined, God is not an old man with a flowing white beard. Fortunately God himself, through His inspired Word, has revealed much about what He is like. God wants us to know about Him and to know him personally.
God is Spirit
- The second verse in the Bible, Genesis 1:2, uses the term, “Spirit of God”.
- Numbers 23:19 tells us that God is not a man or a descendant of man. God is not human.
- Jesus said in John 4:24 that His Father is not of this material realm but He is Spirit and of the spiritual realm.
God is Light
Many scriptures in the Bible describe the light of God. This is sometimes called “glory”.
- There is no darkness in God [1 John 1:5].
- The prophet Ezekiel gave a detailed description of how God looked in his vision [Ezekiel 1:27, 28].
- Habakkuk saw light flashing from God’s hands [Habakkuk 3:4].
- Jesus is the “light of life” [John 8:12].
God is Truth
- God can not lie [Numbers 23:19 Hebrews 6:18 CSB].
- John, a disciple of Jesus, wrote that the Spirit of God is truth [1 John 5:6].
- Jesus called the Spirit of God, “the Spirit of truth” [John 14:17, 15:26, 16:13].
God does not want to punish us, he wants to save us and rejoice over us [Zephaniah 3:17].God is merciful and longs to show everyone His mercy [Micah 7:18 NLT, Psalm 51:1-2, Isaiah 55:7, Hebrews 4:16].Jesus expressed, not only His compassion but that of the Father [Matthew 23:37].
This has but scratched the surface of what God is really like but God Himself wants us to know who He really is. The ancient scriptures have hundreds of verses describing and revealing the true nature of God just waiting to be discovered.